To advance in life, we have to step outside our comfort zones. Unfortunately, though, we often feel a great deal of fear and uncertainty when we do this. While this is never a nice feeling to sit with, fear is a natural sensation when doing something new and familiar.
Fear can be a beautiful thing, for it shows us that we are moving forward and entering into the growth zone. However, fear can become so intense that it cripples us into panic, sending us back into the safe corners of our comfort zones, far from the unknown.
Allowing fear to dictate our lives in this way causes so many people to never reach success and greatness. If only they could have found a way to face their fears and embrace the unknown, their lives could have told a whole other story.
Luckily for you, it’s not too late. You don’t have to spend your whole life in the restricting cocoon of the comfort zone. By learning how to deal with anxious thoughts, you’ll be able to overcome your fears and seize the beautiful opportunities that life presents. These fear quotes and sayings will help you find the peace and confidence to do just that.
1. “When you teach them-teach them not to fear. Fear is good in small amounts, but when it is a constant, pounding companion, it cuts away at who you are and makes it hard to do what you know is right.” – Christopher Paolini
2. “Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.” – Bertrand Russell
3. “You don’t have to control your thoughts; you just have to stop letting them control you.” — Dan Millman
4. “Fear makes us look for someone to blame, throw up our hands in defeat, and give in to a victim mentality. Faith chooses to face the challenge with hope in a brighter tomorrow.” – Penny Hunt
5. “Fear has two meanings: ‘Forget Everything And Run’ or ‘Face Everything And Rise.’ The choice is yours.” – Zig Ziglar
6. “No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anybody but oneself.” — Virginia Woolf
7. “What successful people have in common is that they don’t let their fears or excuses stop them. They overcome and conquer them, then they reach success and are able to fulfill their Destiny.” – Jeanette Coron
8. “Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength.” — Charles Spurgeon
9. “One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn’t do.” – Henry Ford
10. “Don’t be fearless, but tame your fears, and stop at nothing.” ― Abhijit Naskar
11. “I have to face the fear. I have to take control of the situation and find a way to make it less frightening.” ― Veronica Roth
12. “Ambivalent and fearful feelings toward one another wouldn’t happen if we saw others as a reflection of ourselves but we believe we are so different from one another and therefore we don’t have to feel for others or help them.” – Geof Warren
13. “I want to make this point: it’s not that things aren’t scary. They are, and they will continue to be. But each of us has to come to a deep, personal realization that God has already conquered fear—and by the power of His Spirit we can live completely free from fear.” ― Sadie Robertson
14. “I know a little something about fear, honey. I know what a relief it feels like to give into it at first. It’s not hard to persuade yourself that you’re doing the right thing—that you’re making the smart, safe decision. But fear is insidious. It takes anything you’re willing to give it, the parts of your life you don’t mind cutting out, but when you’re not looking, it takes anything else it damn well pleases, too.” – Andrea Lochen
15. “Fear will fuel my journey or it will cause me to forsake my journey. And it is utterly amazing that the self-same thing can build me or destroy me.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
16. “He who is not every day conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
17. “Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.” – Dale Carnegie
18. “He was a pitiful thing. He had always been a pitiful thing. Why had she never seen that before? There was a hollow place inside her where her fear had been.” ― George R.R. Martin
19. “He was a pitiful thing. He had always been a pitiful thing. Why had she never seen that before? There was a hollow place inside her where her fear had been.” ― George R.R. Martin
20. “Saw a little girl touch a big bug and shout, “I conquered my fear! YES!” and calmly walk away. I was inspired.” ― Nathan Fillion
21. “It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.” – Marcus Aurelius
22. “If you can’t fly, run. If you can’t run, walk. If you can’t walk, crawl, but by all means, keep moving.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
23. “We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.” — Mother Teresa
24. “If you try to get rid of fear and anger without knowing their meaning, they will grow stronger and return.” – Deepak Chopra
25. “Forget the self and you will fear nothing, in whatever level of awareness you find yourself to be.” – Carlos Castaneda
26. “Beethoven said that it’s better to hit the wrong note confidently than hit the right note unconfidently. Never be afraid to be wrong or to embarrass yourself; we are all students in this life, and there is always something more to learn.” – Mike Norton
27. “Stress is an ignorant state. It believes that everything is an emergency. Nothing is that important.” — Natalie Goldberg
28. “A wise woman once told me that long ago, a young warrior conquered death, so that we would never have to fear it again. All those we have lost–they are not gone. For we will see them again when the last curtain falls, and the great battle has been won. They’ll be there, waiting for us, with their feet dangling in some wide, warm river in the midst of eternal spring, I suppose. Death really isn’t so bad–just a doorway, really.” ― Ella Rose Carlos
29. “Your calm mind is the ultimate weapon against your challenges.” — Bryant McGill
30. “The guilt and the fear can be strong, but you know the single right decision and action. And you know you know, even if it took hindsight to remind you of what you already knew.” – Rob Moore
31. “Fear echoes your self-defined limitations, not your actual ones. To change your self-image, you must face what scares you.” – Vironika Tugaleva
32. “The key ingredient to overcoming fear is not just speaking to it; it’s speaking to it in Jesus’ name.” ― Sadie Robertson
33. “Courage is not the absence of fear, it’s to feel the fear and face it anyway.” ― Jeanette Coron
34. “Entrepreneurship is the process of conquering fear with getting out of your comfort zone and living daily in your God-given gift zone.” – Farshad Asl
35. “We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.” — David Mamet
36. “Anxiety was born in the very same moment as mankind. And since we will never be able to master it, we will have to learn to live with it— just as we have learned to live with storms.” — Paulo Coelho
37. “I realized if I didn’t just go, I’d never go. Going was the key. It didn’t matter where I was headed just as long as I was headed somewhere.” – Ben Davis
38. “Are you willing to give up what you have in order to become what you want to be? Most people fear change and, therefore, never grow past the point of mediocrity.” – Richard A. Franks
39. “He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
40. “I have always been afraid… Always been pretending to follow you closely, always been pretending to sharpen my teeth, when the truth is, I am … scared to death just treading on your shadow.” – Tite Kubo
41. “Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer.” — William S. Burroughs
42. “Present tears water the gardens of future blessings.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
43. “One challenge at a time, I try to turn into the face of fear and tell it “you are not my master, you are the product of my self and I am your master.” I look into the monster’s eyes until it disappears. Then I am free.” ― Rohvannyn Shaw
44. “Each of us must confront our own fears, must come face to face with them. How we handle our fears will determine where we go with the rest of our lives. To experience adventure or to be limited by the fear of it.” -Judy Blume
45. “Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.” —Deepak Chopra
46. “You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.’ You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
47. “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
48. “Just like in life, we need to overcome our fears before exploring the next adventure.” ― M. Liz Boyle
49. “You can be scared. We all are. The trick is to not let that fear take you over. Let it simmer, let it wrap itself around you to keep you alert, but don’t let it become you.” ― Courtney M. Privett
50. “When you eat too much chocolate, you get sick of it. When you drink too much champagne, you get sick of it. Gorge yourself on fear.” ― Khang Kijarro Nguyen
How did you like these “have no fear quotes”? Did they soothe your worries and help melt away the tension? It’s helpful to return to these inspirational sayings whenever you’re about to do something scary.
Along with reading quotes, guided meditations and breathwork exercises can help you overcome your fears. Whether you’re launching a new business, declaring your love for someone, or jumping out of a plan, these practices will settle your nerves and bring you into a state of poise.