It can be difficult to remain optimistic amidst the trials and tribulations of life, but even in the most challenging crisis, there is hope. Granted, positive thinking is easier said than done when you feel like the world is against you. However, although we cannot choose what happens, we can decide how we respond to it.
So how do you find strength and faith in the depth of despair? Seeking support from trusted friends and family members can help you see things from a different perspective. Moreover, spending time in nature can quiet your anxious mind.
However, the best long-term solution to dealing with challenges is to train our minds to be resilient. As we cannot prevent hard times, we can increase our capacity to recover quickly from them instead. You can build resilience with mindfulness and self-care practices. Another way is by reading stay strong quotes from others who have experienced and overcome challenges.
We’ve put together this list of stay strong quotes and sayings to help you find the strength you need in uncertain times. While they cannot magically make things better, they will remind you that everything will work out in the end.
1. “Your strength doesn’t come from winning. It comes from struggles and hardships. Everything that you go through prepares you for the next level.” ― Germany Kent
2. “You’re going to go through tough times – that’s life. But I say, ‘Nothing happens to you, it happens for you.’ See the positive in negative events.” – Joel Osteen
3. “You, my dear, have gone through things no one has a clue about and you survived. Even though you don’t talk about it anymore, Be proud of yourself for not giving up. Be Proud!” ― Mridula Singh
4. “You start with a darkness to move through, but sometimes the darkness moves through you.” – Dean Young
5. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” – Cayla Mills
6. “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” – Margaret Thatcher
7. “You just can’t beat the person who never gives up.” – Babe Ruth
8. “You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.” – James Allen
9. “With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
10. “When you’re not sure if you’re following the right path, when you’ve been knocked down a few too many times, it’s completely fine to get discouraged, hell even defeated. What’s not okay is to stop.” – Gary John Bishop
11. “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” – Henry Ford
12. “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.” – Kenji Miyazawa
13. “We may encounter many defeats, but we must not be defeated.” – Maya Angelou
14. “There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, there are no limits.” – Michael Phelps
15. “There is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A.A. Milne
16. “Surprise yourself everyday with your own courage.” – Denholm Elliott
17. “Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being.” – Albert Schweitzer
18. “Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines.” – Robert Schuller
19. “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” – Confucius
20. “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” – Helen Keller
21. “One word of encouragement can be enough to spark someone’s motivation to continue with a difficult challenge.” – Roy T. Bennett
22. “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” – Michael Jordan
23. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie
24. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas A. Edison
25. “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” – Bernice Johnson Reagon
26. “Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb but how well you bounce.” – Vivian Komori
27. “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” – Vince Lombardi
28. “It’s not exactly like you thought it would be, you think it’s a failure. What about the spectrum of colors in between.” – Sara Evans
29. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life. It goes on.” – Robert Frost
30. “In the middle of a difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein
31. “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” – Vincent Van Gogh
32. “If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.” – Flavia Weedn
33. “I’m stronger because of the hard times, wiser because of my mistakes, and happier because I have known sadness.” – Allison Vogel
34. “I think people are always going to say things about you or disapprove of your relationships or your ideals or your beliefs or something, but I think you have to stand up and stay strong in who you are and not let it affect you.” – Kirstin Maldonado
35. “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
36. “Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” – C.S. Lewis
37. “Everything is either an opportunity to grow or an obstacle to keep you from growing. You get to choose.” – Dr. Wayne Dyer
38. “Every problem is a gift. Without problems we would not grow.” – Tony Robbins
39. “Courage is only an accumulation of small steps.” – George Konrad
40. “Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
41. “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
42. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
43. “When adversity strikes, that’s when you have to be the most calm. Take a step back, stay strong, stay grounded, and press on.” – LL Cool J
44. “Things happen to you to make you realize your true potential, strength, will power, and heart. You’ve got to have faith.” – Dr. Byron Hayes
45. “Sometimes you don’t realize your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness.” – Susan Gale
46. “No matter how hard the battle gets, or no matter how many people don’t believe in your dream, never give up!” – Eric Thomas
47. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie
48. “I’m stronger because of the hard times, wiser because of my mistakes, and happier because I have known sadness.” – Allison Vogel
49. “I have no regrets in my life. I think that everything happens to you for a reason. The hard times that you go through build character, making you a much stronger person.” – Rita Mero
50. “Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.” – Bruce Lee
Training our minds to seek out the positive in hardships, look for silver linings, and push through our negative emotions is not easy. However, reading stay strong quotes like these can help you find a sliver of hope and keep persevering, knowing that brighter times are ahead.
We recommend reading these quotes at least once a day when dealing with challenges. They can be particularly inspiring in the morning when you lack enthusiasm for the day. Share them with your friends and family as well, so that your loved ones can also find hope.